Fire Chief Tim Butler

Fire Chief Tim Butler
Thanks for checking out my web log! My radio call sign in Saint Paul is "Car 1." Join me as we go "On Scene" to the fire stations, training evolutions, emergency incidents, and community events in Saint Paul, Minnesota. Let's share perspectives on the issues facing our Department, our community, and the American Fire Service!

Friday, January 1, 2010

NEW YEARS DAY

January 1, 2010:

It has been over a week since I’ve updated this blog, and what a week it has been! Christmas has come and gone, and now New Years weekend is upon us. We’ve had 2 shortened work weeks because of the holidays, yet it seems like all I’ve done is study, train, and attend class. My children were on break from school, yet it seems like I hardly saw them, and they (and I) return to the classroom on Monday. I’ve spent a lot of late nights and early mornings this last 10 days in preparation for a wide variety of written and practical testing. I don’t know how the other recruits are fairing, but I can tell you I felt a bit frazzled this last week. I think most of us were a bit anxious about the tests we completed this past week.

It was a week with some extremely enjoyable and practical training, some challenging practical and physical exams, and constant scheduling changes caused by the weather and extensive practical training. The week seemed…..well, disjointed. This last week marked, however, a real turning point for our class. We finished the essential elements of Firefighter I certification, so we have “the basics” down, and are getting ready to move out of the classroom and begin more hands on, practical training. That phase begins on Monday when we’ll do more work in the burn building and drill tower on the “Firefighter II” portion of our training. Then, we’ll begin working alongside Saint Paul Fire crews and in our stations in the final weeks of our training. We can finally see real progress on our path from classroom-to-burn building-to-fire Station…..we all are eager to complete that transition in the remaining 5 weeks!

I’ll try to recap the week for you over the next couple of days and “get you caught up” on where our class stands and the challenges of the past week. In the mean time, please enjoy a very safe and peaceful New Year’s weekend, and I wish you all a prosperous and blessed 2010!

Tim

1 comment:

  1. Chief,
    Happy Holidays. Again, it has been enjoyable to read along as you have gone through your recruit academy. I am hopeful that there are some new and younger Firefighters out there getting a "flavor" for what it takes to do the jobs we do and are able to plan accordingly as they set their career aspirations. I am sure you have now gained a new respect for the weather and how it plays a roll in the fire ground and emergency scene tasks that seem so "day-to-day" during normal conditions but can become the most treacherous during these conditions. Keep pushing hard, having your Firefighter 1 done is a pretty good stepping stone and benchmark, Thanks Again!

    Neil

    ReplyDelete